Vancouver Creative Space Society (“C-Space”) is seeking an Interim Facility Manager (maternity cover) for East Vancouver creative hub Progress Lab 1422.
In 2009, a dream between four kindred theatre organizations was realized when Boca Del Lupo, Electric Company, Neworld and Rumble opened Progress Lab 1422, a 7,000 ft2 centre for creation and development in East Vancouver. Guided by a deeply felt spirit of collaboration, community and resource-sharing, PL1422 quickly became a sought-after cultural facility, accommodating not only the tenant companies but external rentals and partnerships. To support this growth, the Vancouver Creative Space Society (C-Space) was founded to manage PL1422 and other possible future cultural property development projects in the Lower Mainland. Now, in 2021, PL1422 remains home to three of the founding companies—Electric Company, Neworld, and Rumble—while welcoming Company 605, Playwrights Theatre Centre, rice & beans theatre, Tara Cheyenne Performance and Theatre Conspiracy into the fold. PL1422 continues to be a vital presence in our community, providing exceptional, readily available and affordable creative space to the theatre industry and the wider arts sector.
The Interim Facility Manager is a key position at PL1422 and offers one-of-a-kind opportunity to contribute to the Vancouver performance ecology. The Interim Facility works with Progress Lab resident companies to facilitate the creation of excellent performance work, led by the values of collaboration and community. In addition to being responsible for administering the C-Space Facility, the Interim Facility Manager provides support to the C-Space Board of Directors and the PL1422 Facility Committee.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Coordination of internal bookings (resident companies) of the PL1422 spaces, including the Studio, Workshop, and Rumpus Room;
- Coordination of external bookings of the PL1422 spaces, including oversight of tech stock and coordination of technical staff when necessary;
- Oversight of health and safety in the building including updating the H&S policy as needed in collaboration with the Health and Safety Committee;
- Financial Oversight. Work with the bookkeeper on the day-to-day financial management and annual return.
- Manage C-SPACE budget;
- Oversight of small ongoing capital renovations in collaboration with the Facility Committee.
- Oversight of PL1422 facility maintenance, including waste management, janitorial services, supply purchasing and small repairs. This includes the hiring of tradespeople when necessary, supervising and supporting the gardening committee and accommodating access needs;
- Oversight of studio technical maintenance including monitoring wear and tear on equipment and keeping the studio in good working order;
- Liaising between resident companies and the board;
- Scheduling and attending board meetings;
- Attendance at and documentation of minutes and action items at C-Space and Committee meetings;
- Communication to the resident companies including organizing and facilitating PL1422 building check ins;
- Keeping accurate records for C-Space, including basic website management and facility usage stats;
- Managing C-Space.ca website and online presence;
- Finding and implementing ways to improve PL1422, to make it more awesome.
Working conditions and environment:
- The Interim Facility Manager be engaged as an independent contractor on a one-year contract.
- The Interim Facility Manager will be provided administrative workspace and is asked to provide their own computer.
- The Interim Facility Manager works on a flexible schedule with regular standing meetings during weekday office hours.
- Compensation will be $25/hr for 20 hours a week.
- Experience or education in facility management and arts administration;
- Excellent communication and organizational skills;
- Familiarity with many aspects of stagecraft, with a demonstrated ability to acquire new skills;
- Motivated self-starter;
- Technical theatre experience;
- Willing to work a flexible schedule including weekends, evenings and holidays when required;
- Able to lift up to 35lbs and safely use ladders.
- Experience with accounting and bookkeeping;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel); basic HTML; Google Suite;
- Experience with WordPress.
The successful candidate will ideally be available to start in this position by October 18, 2021. This is a 1-year position. Interested candidates are invited to submit cover letter and resumé in confidence by 5 P.M. September 8, 2021 to email@example.com, subject: PL1422 Interim Facility Manager Position.
Vancouver Creative Space Society is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, ethnicity, indigeneity, gender, gender identification, sexual orientation, class, and physical ability. Candidates are encouraged to self-identify. Unfortunately, a portion of our offices are on the second floor of Progress Lab 1422 and are not currently wheelchair accessible; however, ground floor workspace could be made available.
Thank-you for your interest. Only candidates advancing in the process will be contacted. No telephone or walk-in inquiries please. All applications are treated confidentially.
The PL1422 Interim Facility Manager Hiring Committee
Alen Dominguez, Neworld Theatre
Chelsea Haberlin, Neworld Theatre
Jiv Parasram, Rumble Theatre
Melanie Yeats, Playwrights Theatre Centre